Here is a list of my ten favorite rock artists (it excludes jazz, blues, country, bluegrass, classical, etc. but includes folk, rap, soul, r & b, pop, reggae, electronica/techno, and most newer genres of popular music in the West), with a brief description of why I like each. I like lists a lot, as most people who know me well are aware, so expect a lot of lists on my blog.
1. Pink Floyd: Although this list is subjective, and based on what I like and not who was most innovative or influential, I still maintain that Pink Floyd was the most innovative band of all time, though certainly not the most influential. Their greatest music creates a serene, contemplative atmosphere usually only found in the works of the greatest classical/baroque/romantic composers (Mozart and Beethoven above all) and cool jazz artists (Miles Davis above all). They are both the greatest progressive rock artist and the greatest psychedelic artist, in my opinion. Favorite songs: Echoes, Comfortably Numb, Interstellar Overdrive, Brain Damage/Eclipse, and Sheep. Favorite album: Dark Side of the Moon.
2. Led Zeppelin: It is not just their hard rock numbers that cause me to put them so high on this list, but even more so their acoustic/folk/melodic numbers. My five favorite songs by them are Stairway to Heaven, Your Time Is Gonna Come, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (cover), Dazed and Confused, and Gallows Pole (cover of an old English folk song), four of which are acoustic/folk/melodic. However, their hard rock songs are also almost unmatched in rock history. They are very diverse, too. Some are bluesy, some are more heavy metal, and others have strong Eastern influences. Their melodic songs include country-tinged songs, folk ballads, and epic Celtic rock songs. Led Zeppelin is the most diverse band of all time musically, even more than The Beatles (who are second) and The Rolling Stones (who are third). Favorite album: Led Zeppelin I.
3. The Beatles: Although I honestly don't like most of their pre-Rubber Soul songs (they are almost all three-minute pop jingles that are quite similar to a lot of "boy band" songs from the late 1990s and early 2000s), I respect the amazing songwriting capabilities of Lennon and McCartney (and George Harrison) even before they became highly experimental on Rubber Soul and all subsequent albums. Still, not enough can be said of how creative and influential Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles (White Album), and Abbey Road were and continue to be. I love all six of those awe-inspiring albums. Favorite songs: A Day in the Life, Let It Be, Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Favorite album: The Beatles (White Album).
4. The Doors: I have a feeling they will be the most unpopular band on my list, but I enjoy two things more than most people: keyboards (especially the organ) and baritone vocals. Ray Manzarek is the greatest keyboardist in rock history, in my opinion, and Jim Morrison's deep-throated vocals are some of the most passionate in rock. Morrison's lyrics are not always very good, but his singing style is almost always spectacular. I have never stopped enjoying listening to their music, and Robbie Krieger and John Densmore are underrated at their respective instruments (guitar and drums). Favorite songs: L.A. Woman, Light My Fire, The End, Love Street, and Riders on the Storm. Favorite album: L.A. Woman.
5. Bob Marley and the Wailers: Bob Marley remains one of the greatest songwriters in the history of popular music. Although their (yes, their; it's not just Bob Marley: the Wailers contributed a lot too, especially early members Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer, while the rhythm section of Aston and Carlton Barrett drove the band's sound for as long as Bob Marley was popular) sound is not as diverse as some artists on this list, their songs have a groove that speaks to the depth of the soul. Favorite songs: No Woman No Cry (live version), Redemption Song, Stir It Up, Is This Love, and One Foundation. Favorite album: Burnin'.
6. The Who: Hard, epic sound - every song is like an explosion of raw energy, with Keith Moon (along with John Entwistle) providing the thundering rhythm that defines the band's sound. Pete Townshend's songwriting skills are among the greatest in rock, and Daltrey's vocals are also among the best. Favorite songs: Love Reign O'er Me, Won't Get Fooled Again, We're Not Gonna Take It (not the Twisted Sister song, but the finale of Tommy usually known by its single version name, See Me Feel Me), Baba O'Riley (or "Teenage Wasteland" to those who don't know the band's music that well), and Behind Blue Eyes. Favorite album: Tommy.
7. Jimi Hendrix: I like both of Jimi's bands, the Experience and Band of Gypsys/Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, but I definitely like the three albums the Experience put out the best. Are You Experienced changed rock and roll forever with its insane and energetic guitar parts that established Jimi as the greatest guitarist in rock history, which he still is, no matter what advances in technical skill more recent guitarists have brought. Axis: Bold As Love features Jimi's most beautiful songs: Little Wing, Bold As Love, and Castles Made of Sand. Electric Ladyland is almost one grand rock symphony, with two of Jimi's most memorable songs coming at the end, his cover of All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Child: Slight Return. Favorite songs: All Along the Watchtower (cover), Manic Depression, Little Wing, Hey Joe (cover), and Bold As Love. Favorite album: Are You Experienced.
8. The Rolling Stones: I know this is a low spot for them. I do love their music, just not quite as well as that of a select few other artists. They deserve the praise they get, especially for everything they released through Tattoo You. Favorite songs: Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar (though not the lyrics), Jumpin' Jack Flash. Favorite album: Sticky Fingers (though not the cover!).
9. Queen: One of my two favorite bands from childhood. I listened to their album News of the World over, and over, and over, and over again when I was 9 and 10. Favorite songs: Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, We Will Rock You, You're My Best Friend, and Another One Bites the Dust. Favorite album: News of the World.
10. The Beach Boys: My favorite band from childhood. I don't like them as much as I did before I was 14 (when I discovered Led Zeppelin), but they singlehandedly got me into rock music and I feel an almost infinite amount of nostalgia whenever I hear their music, even their less-than-stellar songs. Favorite songs: Good Vibrations, God Only Knows, Sloop John B, California Girls, and Fun Fun Fun. Favorite album: Pet Sounds.