I am not
an atheist: I have directly experienced God (as crazy as that might sound to
some people), a reality (for lack of a better word) that is infinitely
mysterious and thus difficult to describe, though heightened awareness and a
sense of absolute freedom from the material world come from experiencing God,
who is "beyond" all being. In my experience, God is absolutely
and unequivocally not the
being described in the Bible (either Testament), the Qur'an, or the mainstream
traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, although some Christian mystics
(e.g., Johannes "Meister" Eckhart and George Fox), Jewish Kabbalists
and Hasidim (e.g., Isaac Luria and the Baal Shem Tov), and Muslim Sufis (e.g.,
Ibn Arabi and Al-Hallaj) have described or come close to describing God as God
can actually be experienced.
However, it is dangerous to conflate the God that can be
experienced with the creator described in any text, especially the Bible or
Qur'an - to do so distorts the experience itself, rather than describing it and
what is experienced in it in a manner that allows others to have the same
experience in their own cases. I am not even sure that this reality
beyond existence I am calling God created the universe, and I do not believe
that God answers prayers or otherwise performs miracles (i.e., direct
interventions in the natural world for the benefit of creatures - experiences
of God are not the result of God "intervening," but are rather
experiences of a reality that is omnipresent, and thus possible to experience
anywhere or at any time - God cannot even properly said to be either within or
outside the universe).
Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that whatever or
whoever gave rise to the universe is loving, just, or merciful. I don't
know what my "theistic orientation" is, but I can safely say that I
am not a metaphysical materialist or naturalist (dogmatic naturalists and
materialists are usually called skeptics in the contemporary world, but
authentic skeptics, in particular the Pyrrhonian Skeptics of Classical Greece,
suspend judgment about the truth or falsehood of all propositions, not just
those that contradict a certain set of metaphysical, epistemological, and
ethical beliefs). I am also not a traditional theist, nor am I, properly
speaking, even a pantheist or panentheist.
My theology is closest to the Via Negativa theology of
Pseudo-Dionysius (i.e., the fifth or sixth century Orthodox Christian mystic
who wrote under the biblical name "Dionysius the Areopagite," who had
to write pseudonymously in order to avoid persecution, but who made it possible
for later Christian mystics like Meister Eckhart to espouse their views by
referring to his apparently authoritative works, and to reduce their risk of
being burned alive, tortured, or excommunicated for their "heretical"
views). Although inspired in part by Plotinus and the Neo-Platonists,
Pseudo-Dionysius's brief but profound Mystical Theology lacks
the over-the-top sugarcoating of all human suffering and all the natural
world's terrible and unpleasant aspects that one typically finds in
Neo-Platonist works, especially the Enneads,
and in most Christian apologetic and theological works inspired by
Neo-Platonism, such as the works of Augustine (which even have the audacity to
attempt to sugarcoat the doctrines of eternal damnation and predestination).
No comments:
Post a Comment